Friday 18 January 2013

Martyrs

 
Date Of Release: May 2008 (Cannes) and 3rd September 2008 (France)

Director: Pascal Laugler

Producer: Richard Grandpierre & Simon Trottier

Starring: Morjana Alaoui, Mylene Jampanoi

Running Time: 94 minutes

Distributor: Canal Horizons

Review


This film is one of the many of a wave of new French extremity movies. This was one of the first in that genre that I watched and it is the movie that got me hooked on it too. The film has a very simple premise, they are a secret society that are trying to make someone into a martyr so that they can learn the secrets of the afterlife. In some countries, this was a very controversial plotline. When you watch the film you can see why it may ruffle a few feathers!

What I love about this film most is that it doesn't fuck around. The plot is brilliant and the story moves at a fast pace. The 2 main actresses are brilliant in their roles also. The passion and emotion that they portray is certainly worthy of an Oscar in my opinion. The look and feel of the film is very gritty. You could not blame someone for almost confusing it with a supernatural horror in some places. There are no over dramatics and out of place special effects. The film is just perfect in every way.

I don't want to give too much about this film away, it really is something you have to see for yourself. My favourite scene is the ending where Mademoiselle asks Anna what it is that she sees. It is a subtle warning to many people out there that the answer is best not knowing until it is your time to find out. A lot of scenes in this are extremely brutal and you really feel for the main character. You go from anger to sadness to relief. That is what I call the sign of a good movie.

You can imagine how much it annoyed me however, when I found out that the film is in the process of being remade for American audiences. Some films should not be touched and I am beyond pissed off about it. To make matters worse, the producers of twilight are the ones that are over seeing the project. I shall be expecting sparkly martyrs then...


Rating: 10/10 - You should own this movie no martyr what!!

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment